Friday, March 23, 2007

"The Pursuit of Happyness"

Watched a great movie on our proposal anniversary, and the timing for that movie couldn't be more amazingly coincidental. The title is 'The Pursuit of Happyness', by Will Smith.



It is based upon the life of Chris Gardner. He was a struggling salesman in the 80s who went through hell to get to where he is.

Talk about a wake up call for me. What is the price for success? Will I be willing to pay it?

Right at this juncture of my life when I am deciding when to quit my safe, comfortable job, the timing for this show couldn't have come at a better time.

Chris had a child. He went through countless fights with his wife over making ends meet. Debts were piling. At one point, he was literally homeless, and he had his son with him all along.

His break came in the form of a job opportunity to be a stock broker at Dean Whitters. But he had to undergo training without income, and for a job that wasn't even a certainty. There was only one vacancy, and he had to the best out of 20 interns.

I have quite a 'safe' cushion in terms of finances, I should be able to function without disaster for Hwei Min and I without any income for at least 2 months, and I have a considerably much better network than Chris had. It is still a little intimidating to imagine going without a pay check for training... Which I planned on doing.

Going to 'S' in the cashflow quadrant had been my plan all along, on my path to 'B'. But now I am making the first 'bridge burning' decision.

The movie was nice, but as Tony said, if I had to model after someone, I have to get inside his head, and understand how he ticks. So I am looking for the book now. If I can find the book in Singapore, that will be great, meantime, I found the book at amazon.com.



Here's a video of the actual guy...

No comments: