Monday, May 07, 2007

I am an S

The irony of it all. I have quit from my job. But I was
quickly back in the company as a freelancer.

It was only when my former manager asked me to come up
with an invoice about the scope of work and charges that
I realised that this was a sign! It was a sign that I am
indeed in the S quadrant now!

(if by now you still do not know what I am referring to
and what I have been referring to in my previous posts.
ESBÌ are acronyms for different quadrants from Robert
Kiyosaki's Cashflow Quadrant.)

Regardless of how long I can last in this venture into
the S quadrant, it seems like the universe is presenting
itself to me purely because I asked for it.

I would now have to adopt new skills, and a different
mindset toward things. Some things i've discovered pretty
quick:

1. Accountability

o I have to keep track of my income and expense.
For tax and CPF purposes

o A doodad can be tax free! Ok... It must first
be a legitimate business expense of course. But
no one says I cannot use an MP3 recorder which
is business expense for outdoor recording for
my own personal use too, right?

2. Time management

o With no one to tell you what to do, I really
have to become more disciplined with my time.
Now that I am self-employed, it means I can take
my 30 mins power nap, but it could also mean a
2 hour killer nap if I don't watch myself.

3. People Skills

o Ex Managers and colleagues have now become
clients. Managers no longer exist. Partners do.
What is the protocol when discussing work with
partners? Very different than with colleagues or
managers, let me tell you that.

No comments: